Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Heart Full Of Lies by Ann Rule


An idyllic Hawaiian wedding held the promise of a wonderful future for handsome, athletic Chris Northon, an airline pilot, a confirmed bachelor-turned-devoted family man; and Liysa, an acclaimed surf photographer, loving mother, and aspiring Hollywood screenwriter. But few, including Chris, had seen Liysa's other side -- her controlling behavior and dark moods, her insatiable hunger for money and property. And no one anticipated the fatal outcome of a family camping trip in an Oregon forest. Liysa soon revealed herself as a victim of domestic abuse that culminated at the campsite, where she shot Chris in self-defense. But crime scene evidence led detectives to wonder if Liysa was a killer, not a victim. Her controversial trial stunned all who thought they knew her. A lifetime of sociopathic manipulations and lies had been expertly hidden behind her facade of perfection -- as was her rage to destroy any obstacle to her ultimate happiness, even if it was the man she vowed to love forever.
People were dispensable to Liysa Northon.As quickly as she would allow them into her lives,she would get rid of them,if they failed to satisfy whichever plan she had had,upon entering this specific relationship.If you were a non confrontational kind of person,you would get to escape alive.If you were like Chris Northon,and you had bonded with your son,to the extent that you would have added certain provisions to the custody agreement,then you would die.That is what happened.Despite Chris Northon's desperate attempts at making the marriage work for the sake of his son,he had made clear that in the event of a divorce he would not be the silent bystander that the father of her first son was.

Liysa Northon was the ultimate female sociopath.She was well liked by anyone she ever met.But yet,she had planned for years to murder Chris by circulating stories of physical abuse in the marriage.Abuse which were only stories told by herself to friends and family.No one ever saw for themselves any of this abuse or even noted any marks on her,at any time.

This decision to murder Chris probably came about for different reasons.Chris had refused to invest in any more properties.This woman was obsessed with the acquisition of properties.Chris was growing more and more tired of her frequent moods and outbursts.But in my opinion,their personalities clashed.Chris was a very independent man who loved outings on his own.Liysa loved being the center of attention.He tended to ignore her and his attitude was more "Stay,its ok.Leave,it's also ok" which would have frustrated her to no end.In fact he was the only husband she was faithful to (of the quite few she had before marrying Chris).

I enjoyed reading this book but I would not class it as one of Ann Rule's best books.Probably because I could not relate on an emotional level with any of the main characters.They both irritated me,but that's just me!!

Buy from Kalahari Books-South Africa

OR for more reviews from Amazon:



Here are some more book details:
Country: United States of America
Format: Mass market paperback
Publisher: Pocket Books
ISBN: 9780743410137
Publication date: October 2004
Pages: 447
Illustrations: Illustrated

4 comments:

  1. I liked this one. I thought Ann Rule did a good job of explaining the people involved, but you are right, there was a terrible clash of personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on my shelf... still unread. Ann Rule is probably my fav true crime writer and sadly I probably havent read her in over a year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I am sorry, but I couldnt find your contact information. I have been reading your blog for the past few weeks. I really enjoy it. I was wondering if you accept guest writers? I have a topic that would strike your curiosity. I am very interested in becoming a guest writer. I hope to hear back from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie
    plse contact me on
    yvette dot kelly 1969 at gmail dot com
    I am very interested in having a guest writer
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Custom Search

My True Crime Library

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog