Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Under The Knife by Diane Fanning

Handsome, charming, and a fixture on the New York City club scene, Dean Faiello had built a thriving beauty business. But money was never enough for Faiello, whose hard-partying ways constantly left him on the edge of ruin. So he did the unthinkable and worked as a cosmetic surgeon-- even though he had no medical degree, or training whatsoever. In the spring of 2003, a beautiful, successful woman named Maria Cruz went to Doctor Faiello for a relatively simple cosmetic procedure... and succumbed to a fatal complication while under his care. Faiello allegedly buried her corpse beneath a concrete slab at his Newark, New Jersey home-- and went on the run. It was only after Cruz's body was found that the true callousness of Faiello's plan would be dissected... and he would be accused of putting her UNDER THE KNIFE

Murder Date April 13,2003

I just finished reading this book now so before I forget important details I decided to post.

This is about Dean Faiello who pretended to be a doctor and performed laser surgery.One of his patients,Maria Cruz,had an adverse reaction to an anaesthetic he used and because Dean Faiello was already under investigation for performing medical duties without a medical license,he decided not to take her to hospital and she died instead.This is especially tragic as her reaction to the drug could have been treated easily if Dean had been a doctor.
The story outlines Dean Faiello's life as a gay,charming and handsome man and his relationships throughout his life until he was extradited from Costa Rica to stand trial in the USA for the murder of Maria Cruz.

I can usually work out how good a book is by how long I take to read it.If a book is really good I take half a day to finish it.Some books I dont even finish but I must say with True Crime books this rarely happens.This book took me 3 days.I think it is well written.This is also the first book that I read of Diane Fanning's.I saw her website and promptly ordered 6 of her books.I personally prefer female authors so I decided to check out her style of writing.Not bad.I will read a few more of her books before I make my final decision.

What I am hoping for with this post is to get readers opinions on how they feel about Dean Faiello's long suffering boyfriend Greg Bach.In this book the opinion is that he was a good guy who got taken for a ride.I think that is partly true but I also feel that he might have known about the body buried under the house at the time but after Dean ended the relationship he only then decided to alert the authorities.What do you think?

Access more info Via Kalahari Books For SA Shoppers
or below for USA Shoppers


I read this book in February 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search

My True Crime Library

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog