Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Secrets In The Cellar by John Glatt


Josef Fritzl was a 73-year-old retired engineer in Austria. He seemed to be living a normal life with his wife, Rosemarie, and their family,although one daughter, Elisabeth, had decades earlier been lost to a religious cult. Throughout the years, three of Elisabeth's children mysteriously appeared on the Fritzls' doorstep; Josef and Rosemarie raised them as their own. But only Josef knew the truth about Elisabeth's disappearance...
For twenty-four years, Josef had imprisoned and molested Elisabeth in his man-made basement dungeon, complete with sound-proof paneling and code-protected electric locks. There, she would eventually give birth to a total of seven of Josef's children. One died in infancy and the other three were raised alongside Elisabeth, never to see the light of day.
Then, in 2008, one of Elisabeth's children became seriously ill, and was taken to the hospital. It was the first time the nineteen-year-old girl had ever gone outside--and soon, the truth about her background, her family's captivity, and Josef's unspeakable crimes would come to light.


If this book had been a fiction book my review would have run along the lines of "unbelievable","unrealistic" and "impossible".Why would this grown up woman not have held this old man captive with the help of her grown son until this monster got so hungry that he would have given them the code to open the door?This would be from me,completely ignorant of how monstrous this old man really was.I am sure that Elizabeth knew that he would never have given in should such action been taken.Besides she believed the poison gas story he made up while I knew it was not true right at the beginning of the book.

This was my first book from the Kindle Store and I waited so long.The amount of times I typed in "Secrets In The Cellar" only to be told over and over again "Your kindle is registered to a third party".But Secrets In The Cellar was well worth waiting for.I love John Glatt books.I love his simplistic style of writing.I have read reviews where people complain about that but true crime stories are complicated and traumatic enough without having to resort to dictionaries and my imagination.I would buy any John Glatt book just because it is written by him.The same applies to books written by Ann Rule,Kathryn Casey,Diane Fanning,Jerry Bledsoe and Aphrodite Jones.But that's just my taste.

This book had background/childhood information,crime and investigation details.I did read another book on this case and it does not compare to this one by John Glatt.My only problem is the Kindle edition did not have pictures and I usually really look forward to the photographs.So I did a "google" search and found quite a few so that turned out well.


If you would like to see some more reviews on this book then access via Amazon link below
Secrets in the Cellar

or for South African readers who want to find out more then Kalahari Books is the link for you.

Here are some more details on this book

Country: United States of America
Format: Mass market paperback
Publisher: St. Martin's True Crime
ISBN: 9780312947866
Publication date: March 2009
Edition: illustrated edition
Pages: 248
Illustrations: Illustrated

I read this in May 2009 and besides not having photos on the Kindle version I would definitely recommend reading this book.

3 comments:

  1. wow, what a story. That a man would do this to his own daughter. I am adding it to my read list. I want to know what would make some one do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen
    What I have picked up from reading this book is the abuse this Josef Fritzl suffered at the hands of his mother is possibly the root cause of him becoming a monster.And a missing father.But there is lots more info like the Nazi element,etc...Really good book.You will not believe the madness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! That is disgusting! I will have to look into this more, I want to know what he got for this..

    Also, have you read any books about the Lizzie Bordon (SP?) case. The one a long time ago, and there is a saying something like "Lizzie Bordon took an ax and gave her mother 40 whacks" and then it says something about the father. Old cases like this interest me.

    ReplyDelete

Custom Search

My True Crime Library

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog